search for ingredients

Monday, November 12, 2012

Tiramisu'

Hi everybody!!This is my first post and it was really hard for me to decide how to start my blog.I have always loved to cook and now that I am in the United States I have been missing the food of the country where I come from.I am from Italy, Sicily precisely, and I have been in the US for almost 5 months now.Five months are a great deal of time without the food and smells and flavors that you have been so used to.So since the beginning I started cooking, for me and my friends here, kind of like I was back in Italy, but here, everything I made was special, because people are not used to real Italian food ( unless of course the have been to Italy).That's how I started thinking about writing a blog, a blog that talks about me, what I cook, what I love to eat and a bit about my country and my experience here.I really hope you will enjoy it with me.The first recipe that I would like to share with you is the Tiramisu' ( literally "pick me up", it is not really a Sicilian recipe but it is from north Italy. It also happen to be my favorite dessert and here I can't find it anywhere.So here it is...Ingredients:
  • Cocoa powder ( I use dark chocolate)
  • Coffee (I use espresso)
  • Mascarpone cheese 500g (1.1 lb)
  • Eggs, medium size 6
  • Sugar 120g (4.2 oz)
  • Savoiardi (ladyfinger cookies) 400g (1 lb)
Preparation:
  1. Start making coffee and pour it in a glass container to let it cool down. (img 1-2)
  2. When you have enough coffee ( I made it 8 times, just to be sure to have enough), sweeten it with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
1
2











3.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks with half the sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Put the mascarpone in a bowl as to soften it and then add the mascarpone cheese to the sugar and egg yolk cream and beat until smooth.














4. Beat the egg whites until stiff with a pinch of salt, and add the remaining sugar.





5. With a wooden  spoon add gently the egg withes to the cream made of egg yolks and sugar and the tiramisu' cream is done!




6. Now the fun part! Start dipping the Savoiardi in the cooled coffee, dip them but don't soak them in coffee and continue laying down the Savoiardi on a pan. (img 3)


7. After laying the first layer of Savoiardi you can start covering it with the cream made of mascarpone and egg white, a thin layer, so to cover the cookies completely. (img 4)

Sprinkle the cocoa powder on top of the mascarpone cream. (img 5)


5


3
4

8. Dip another layer of Savoiardi and lay them on the mascarpone mix covered in cocoa powder, spoon a second layer of egg/mascarpone mixture across the second layer of Savoiardi. Use  the remaining mascarpone mix.


Sift  cocoa on top of the second mascarpone layer. The cocoa should sprinkle down in an even layer.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. 





The tiramisu' is served ^_^ I really hope you will enjoy it!
Feel free to leave me a comment or to ask me question about the preparation if you want.

Buon appetito!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great start for the blog! Looks delicious. I'll be over later for my tiramisu. I don't love the font you used though, its kinda hard to read.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your feedback @Kahner, I agree on the readability of the font... I will probably change it :)

Lorenzo peppi said...

I think I will love this blog!!
You did a great tiramisù but following a north style recipe. Next time try the Tuscany version of it, just changing savoiardi with pavesini and dark chocolate powder with dark chocolate bar cut in pieces with a knife. Just give it a try!!!
Now I am waiting for "pasta con le sarde" e "arancini"

Unknown said...

Hi Lore :) thanks a lot for the compliment! I promise I will follow the Tuscany recipe next time, sounds delicious!
Arancine and pasta con le Sarde coming soon ;)

Unknown said...

O man Laura this was delicious!!! Christopher and I put a spoon in it and chomped away lol Thanks so much :)